Visualization and Manipulation of Multidimensional Data
The project Visualization and Manipulation of Multidimensional Data (V-MANIP), performed under European Space Agency Contract No. 4000107441/12/I-AM, will provide an organizational frame for consulting different science communities of new desired ways to visualize, manipulate and interact with multidimensional satellite, thematic and auxiliary data, as well as collecting related expectations for the upcoming missions in the Sentinel era.
The collected community requirements will be translated into software system concepts (engineering requirements, architecture design, and validation plan). Concepts and specifications from future operational ngEO systems will also be included.
The V-MANIP project is being jointly conducted by EOX IT Services GmbH, Berner & Mattner Systemtechnik GesmbH, Fraunhofer Austria Research GmbH, SISTEMA GmbH, VRVis Zentrum für Virtual Reality und Visualisierung Forschungs-GmbH, Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics.
The V-MANIP project will deliver Open Source software for Visualizing and Manipulating multidimensional data directly through a web client. The software will be a result of the collected requirements of various science communities for new visualization methods and preparation for the Sentinel era.
The V-MANIP Software System is conceived as a collection of Open Source Software (re-used as well as newly developed in the V-MANIP Project) for controlled Web-based visualization and manipulation of multidimensional data.
The V-MANIP project shall provide the organizational frame for:
- Consulting of the meteorological and hydrographical science communities regarding new and desired ways to visualise and manipulate multidimensional satellite, thematic and auxiliary data, including the output of models; collecting related expectations for the upcoming missions in the Sentinel era;
- Translation of science community requirements into software system concepts (engineering requirements, architecture design, and validation plan). Inclusion of concepts and specifications from the future operational ngEO system including interface specifications of the visualization pipeline;
- Determining a project policy regarding access security to services and data;
Building the system which can fulfil the functional, interface, performance and security requirements by re-use, new implementation, integration and testing of software components;
- Collection and preparation of demonstration datasets (including simulated datasets for future EO missions) with representative heterogeneity, multidimensionality and volume for functional and performance testing;
- Commissioning of the system in two-steps: (1) the Prototype System via Factory Acceptance, and (2) the Demonstrator System via Onsite Acceptance within the ESA Operations and Maintenance environment;
- Presenting a showcase of the final Demonstrator System to the science communities in order to collect validation feedback and recommendations for future service enhancements;
- Aking the newly developed software components available as Free and Open Source Software.
The V-MANIP Software System consists of the following Subsystems:
- The V-MANIP 3D Client-Server Subsystem(V-M-3DCS)
- The V-MANIP Visual Analytics Client-Server Subsystem(V-M-VACS)
- The V-MANIP Online Data Access Core Subsystem (V-M-ODCS)
- The V-MANIP Data Preparation Subsystem (V-M-DPRE)
- The V-MANIP Security Subsystem (V-M-SS)
The following results are expected from the V-MANIP Project:
- Participation of Scientific Communities
- Standardisation of System Interfaces
- V-MANIP Prototype Implementation
- V-MANIP Demonstrator Integration and Testing
- V-MANIP Demonstrator Validation