INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the project is to extend the current CF‑netCDF standard with descriptive metadata compliant with state‑of‑the‑art ontologies, develop and extend supporting libraries and tools, and demonstrate the outcome in a semantically-enabled EO products search platform:
1) netCDF / CF-netCDF: data model for scientific data, collection of libraries and a machine-independent format. Supports the encoding of geospatial data. Climate and Forecast (CF) is a set of conventions for describing what the data in each variable represents (incl. spatial and temporal properties).
2) Descriptive Metadata such as validity time ranges, origins, generation algorithms and processing chains, accuracy and uncertainty, will be used to annotate CF-netCDF records.
3) State-of-the-Art Ontologies will be analyzed and will constitute the basis for defining the descriptive data. Mappings will be created between the ontologies (GSCDA, GCMD, GEMET, GEOSS) and the extended vocabulary.
4) Pre-existing Supporting Software will be extended to support the extensions.
5) A Technology Demonstrator will be used to demonstrate the extended features
A forum is available for any registered user to discuss on the subject.
The following results are expected from the Prod-Trees project:
1) Specification of a new EO-netCDF convention.
2) Enhanced popular software tools and libraries for supporting the EO convention and data format.
3) Requirements analysis going beyond the scope of the project (e.g. interest in in-situ products).
4) Proposed contributions to the netCDF specification and to the CF convention.
5) Prototype demonstrator built with new and re-used components from the RARE platform.
6) Outcome of the project analyzed and commented by a group of experts and experienced users.
5 December 2012
|Kick Off Meeting|
25 June 2013
|System Requirements Review|
24 September 2013
3 June 2015
26 June 2015
- A paper and a demo have been submitted and accepted for the next ESWC2014 conference (May 25th, 2014 to May 29th, 2014 in Anissaras, Crete, Greece, http://2014.eswc-conferences.org/).
- Version 1.2 (23-Dec-2014) of the EO-netCDF Convention is now available__ in the Prod-Trees Resources page.
The Prod-Trees project has been presented during the events listed in the following table. The related material may be obtained in the Prod-Trees Resources page.
|OGC TC ESS DWG, CF-netCDF SWG|
9 April 2013
|OGC TC, CF-netCDF SWG|
29 April 2014
|Paper and Demo|
SPACE APPLICATIONS SERVICES SAS (BE)
Italian National Research Council CNR (IT)
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens UoA (Gr)
Project member resources
- Prod-Trees Progress Reports
- Prod-Trees Project Meetings
- Prod-Trees Project Deliverables
- Prod-Trees Project Team